Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Mojave Desert Preserve

One might ask why would anyone be excited about going to a Preserve in the middle of a desert. Many years ago when I taught school in Tucumcari New Mexico (early 1980ies) I was introduced to what a desert is all about and what it has to offer. A family that befriended me (Jim Collins Family) there in Rattler country were the first to show me what is has to offer., They owned a large ranch that I spent a lot of time exploring and experiencing the natural habitat of the high desert. If going back to the desert does nothing more it causes me to flashback to a great friendship that Jim and I had.

The Mojave National Preserve and Death Valley National Park offer an array of natural landscapes that are home to a variety of birds, plants, trees, flowers, and animals. My favorite is the Desert Tortoise and the Road Runner. To really enjoy the desert on an anticipated visit do your home work to learn what it has to offer and what to watch for when you visit.

The Mojave National Preserve is located in Southeastern California on 1-15 and I-40 between Las Vegas and Barstow CA.

We do not have many good pictures from this area because I deleted most of them when downloading them to my computer so enjoy what I have here.






Roads can be pretty straight but along the way you can see nothing or you can keep your eye alert and you will see a lot.


Note the Joshua Tree

Close up of a Joshua Tree


A Kelso sand dune on the south western edge of the preserve.  A lot of hiking as well as trailheads near this area


Built in 1924 Kelso Depot was a railroad stop and quarters for crew. It is now a visitors center and museum.

Granite stone MT. out in the middle of the Preserve.

Granite Rock Mountain in the middle of the Desert

Yes the desert does have mountains . Note the Yucca plants in the near foreground 

No comments:

Post a Comment